Saturday September 7, 1957

Downtown Shaken By Gas Explosion

A natural gas leak caused an explosion that rocked the downtown area early this morning.  Inspectors found that the gas lines were not properly installed in the new Kitchen Flooring Showroom at Pierre's Flooring. 

"The lines leaked enough gas to fill the store.  Once the heaters came on it ignited the explosion.", said Pasen Gas Inspector Mark Smith.  

Debris fell over a 3 block radius and shattered windows in the downtown area.  The Tic Toc Clock Shop was set ablaze and there are still concerns of second hand smoke.

"My whole store is gone.", said Pierre Renoit, the owner of the store.  "There is nothing left...my linoleum blownapart"

 Read the Headlines